Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Turning 30

First, next Friday I turn thirty. Second, Miami, Ink is becoming one of my favorite TV shows. (I swear these two topics relate; let me explain.)

A milestone birthday, for sure. When I turned 21 and hit Laclede's Landing with my older sister, I never would've imagined that I'd become a librarian. At 25, newly minted MLS and working for a corporate library, 30 seemed so distant. Well, now it's smacked me upside the head and I'm thinking about ways to mark this birthday. The nose piercings that I've always envied on other women? Nah, I'm too Ann Taylor Prep to pull that off. A permanent mark on back or hip, perhaps? There's where the Miami, Ink comes in.

I mentioned the show to one of the other reference librarians, and we laughed about what we might get etched into our bodies. Of course we thought we'd get our own special Dewey Decimal numbers, hers being 808 and mine, 025 or 027. We'd probably look like prison escapees to those outside the library world, but can you imagine the reaction we'd get if we flashed them at ALA?

So help me out, here. Tell me your suggestions for library- or literary- related tattoos. I may not always be a librarian, but it would mark a certain time in my life that I will always value.

7 Comments:

Blogger Natalie said...

A nice little row (or shelf) of books across your lower back - an area that is popular for tattoos at the moment, but a theme that is not!
Happy Birthday! (I turned 30 in May. It was a bit exciting!)

Natalie S.
(Yes, that old Natalie S.)

2:41 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

Hey Gnat! Good to hear from you. Where are you these days?

Happy birthday, yourself. When did we get to be 30? Totally blows my mind.

I like the idea of a row of books tattoo...I wonder if they could make it so the covers are all torn and tattered-looking?

11:11 AM  
Blogger Natalie said...

They can make anything look like anything! Ha.

I'm still in Richmond, VA. I'll finish my undergrad degree this Dec, then go on to grad school after that for education (teaching). Then more lit. studies after that, maybe in S.C.?? I'm not ready to be finished!

I know... 30. I don't feel 30 - do you? Can you get my email address from here? (I'm not too familiar with these new-fangled bloogs. blogs. logs. bogs.)

10:20 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

Very cool about finishing your degree and going on... I'm totally thinking about going back for a public admin master's - it fits pretty well with the public library arena.

I can't get your email address from the blog, but you can post it in a response to uh, this response. Then I'll trash your comment right away so no one else can see it.

How many tattoos are you up to these days?

12:20 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:13 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

I love those little nose piercings too. You could totally pull it off - and what better way to celebrate middle age? :)

7:39 AM  
Blogger chilibrarian said...

Barcode....

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home