Monday, June 27, 2005

How's Amy recovering?

I'm at the ALA conference in Chicago, blogging away at the Internet Cafe. It's in between sessions so I was able to snag a computer pretty easily. So far I've participated in the World Championship Book Cart Drill Team competition (so much fun, I can't even tell you), a session on Digital Reading, and how to communicate as a manager (be honest, don't bend to conventional wisdom, and don't give up, essentially.) I've been pleased with all of the conference so far, and it's going to get even better, as David Sedaris is presenting tonight. Whoo!

One thing to note, though: I'm curious how Amy is doing this morning. See, I was on the shuttle bus going to a session, and the librarian (or library student) behind me was chatting loudly on her cell phone. About her night last night and how sloshed both she and her friend Amy got, and how she stayed up until 4 a.m. and met cute men. Eh, please, at a professional library conference, on the vendor-sponsored shuttle bus surrounded by your peers, please do not rehash your night of debauchery. You never know when you might be interviewing for a job with a fellow bus-ee in the near future. But just out of sympathy, hope you and Amy are over your post-Chicago night-out headaches.

4 Comments:

Blogger Angel, librarian and educator said...

It never ceases to amaze me how people can so casually talk on cell phones and let the world know about their hangovers. I have seen girls dump boyfriends, cry to another girlfriend over being dumped, heard all about how "he was such an a**hole this and that" and so on. I guess a librarian professional conference is not that much different. And let's hope Amy is much better by now.

9:16 AM  
Blogger DearReader said...

I watched the drill team competition - which team were you on? I absolutely loved the Oak Park "Frog Prince" routine, and thought some of the others were quite good. I'm on a drill team myself, so I took notes (how nerdy is *that*?)

6:34 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

We were on the Sherlock Holmes team, the ones whose music didn't start for what felt like an eternity.

You go on w' your bad self and making notes at the drill team competition! This stuff is serious!

2:57 PM  
Blogger blogger1272 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home