Thursday, April 07, 2005

You, Only Smarter

One of the best parts of my job is getting to interact with patrons. Yesterday a man, early 40s with a brusque attitude, came to the reference desk asking for cassettes on improving sales and motivation. I showed him our array of Zig Ziglar tapes and such, and he commented that he hadn't visited a library in years. As I usually do when people say this, I replied, "Welcome back! It's good to see you again." Then he looked me straight in the eye and said very seriously, "I'm going to get smart here at the library, aren't I?"

Yes, sir, you are going to "get smart" at the library. And it's incredibly gratifying to be present when someone - even if it's just one person - has made that realization.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiny Little Librarian said...

I'm often a horrible grump with patrons, but I like your idea of saying welcome back, that's neat. :)

And wouldn't that make a great library ad campaign? "Get Smart @ Your Library!" It could be all 60's and spy-like and groovy. :)

12:48 AM  
Blogger michelle said...

That would be a great campaign - I can picture librarians using all the cool James Bond-like spy tools, like the watch camera and the invisible car.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Bud Wiser said...

Great blog, fully enjoyed it! spy gadgets

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home