Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The Librarian Superhero

An action-adventure movie titled The Librarian: Quest for the Spear previewed on TNT on Sunday. Ah, the criticisms were a-flyin' on the library listservs by Monday. Some people thought it was poorly executed (hey, it's a made-for-TV movie! It's not going to have Lord of the Rings-quality special effects). However, I thought it was fabulous. Finally, librarians get some attention in the media, mostly positive. We were portrayed as responsible for the world's most valuable things - Excalibur, the Golden Goose, Pandora's Box, etc. Even if your library doesn't own the spear that pierced Jesus' side, the knowledge that it does contain is the most valuable thing on earth.

Noah Wyle's character's lack of MLS aside, they chose the best person for the job because he was smart, resourceful and approachable. He also learned that he didn't have all of the answers, which leads us to the fact that librarians don't either - but we seek out other resources, human or not, to find out.


3 Comments:

Blogger DearReader said...

It's good that the moviemakers think of librarians as protectors of valuable artifacts - but if I worked in a museum, I'd be grumpy. Noah - oh, sorry, Flynn - was really more like "the Curator" or "the Scholar".
That said, I liked this movie. I'm glad that librarians weren't frumpy, for once!

4:29 PM  
Blogger library mistress said...

I didn't see the film yet, and I also think "the library" is more like "the museum", but the novelization, published with ibooks, is really funny to read.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I heard about this movie somewhere and unforunately I don't have cable here in HK. I hope it get to DVD...I'll pray. :) Lisa

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home