Thursday, October 21, 2004

Where Did Everybody Go?!?

I'm concerned about succession planning for public libraries. Specifically, my library, because the reference staff's average age is 50+. I am the youngest reference staff member, and the only full-time librarian under 50. I make jokes that I'll be the only one left in 5-10 years when the others retire, but it really is a serious matter. Libraries are in an interesting HR spot right now-many of those that are graduating from MLS programs can't find positions because those that are in librarian positions aren't ready to retire just yet. However, we need to start thinking about the future. I don't know if this is my responsibility (as a future administrator, hopefully) or the responsbility of the current big cheeses. I'm planning to work though this bibliography to be better prepared. (Unfortunately I noticed that not very many of these articles were published in public library periodicals. Public Librarians, publish! Once you get started, it's addictive.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Norma said...

Sounds like you've got a topic for a publication, plus some people to interview to give it a personal touch.

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home