Friday, October 08, 2004

My first post, yeha!

Thanks to Steven Cohen, I've finally stepped into the world of library blogs. His article in LIScareer.com motivated me to try out this crazy new way to market libraries and myself. I am all for librarians marketing themselves and their talents - yeah, I know we don't do enough of it, so here's my small contribution.

I'm the electronic services librarian for a medium-sized public library in Illinois. My first professional foray into librarianship was as a corporate librarian for a financial company. Good experience, but sheesh, it's hard to be a solo librarian for 4,000 people in three countries. Needless to say I enjoy the socialization of working with 15 other librarians and the community much better.

I love telling people what I do for a living. Libraries are in such a good position right now (that's the optimist in me speaking), combining tradition with new technology. Our library has about 270,000 books and we recently purchased MP3 players for books on MP3. I wrote an article for the Shy Librarian (now defunct, boo hoo!) on the why it's good to be a librarian now.

3 Comments:

Blogger latinorum said...

Well, here is your first comment! I'm writing from italy, I hope you'll share with the community "why it's good to be a librarian now". I'll keep on reading your posts.
Good luck,

Antonio Deroma.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Phil said...

Congratulations on your first foray into weblog writing. We need more librarians writing weblogs, so I hope that you'll get firmly addicted to it! Look forward to reading more in the future.

Phil Bradley.

3:05 AM  
Blogger Stian said...

Welcome blogger/librarians. We definitely need them. I just posted a tribute to libraries and librarians on my website today! :)

stian from Toronto

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home